Coronavirus: Latest Global Developments
Muhammad Irfan 26 days ago Fri 29th January 2021 | 05:30 PM
Paris, (UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News - 29th Jan, 2021 ) :Here are the latest developments in the coronavirus crisis: - AstraZeneca verdict - European regulators are expected to announce if they have approved the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine, as a row with the EU over supplies of the jab escalates.
Its Amsterdam-based medical regulator is due to hold a press conference to reveal its verdict.
- Contract revealed - The EU ramps up pressure on the drug company by publishing a redacted copy of its contract with AstraZeneca following anger over delays in deliveries.
- Positive post-jab data - The Pfizer/BioNTech jab has no link to reported post-vaccination deaths and no new side effects, the EU's medicines regulator says based on the first data from its rollout.
- Origins probe - Experts from the World Health Organization visit a Wuhan hospital as fieldwork begins in a closely watched probe that will take in a food market presumed to be "ground zero" of the pandemic.
- Masks galore - China exported more than 220 billion face masks last year, the commerce ministry says, the equivalent of nearly 40 masks per person outside China as demand for protective gear has skyrocketed.
- Deep recessions - The French economy shrunk 8.3 percent in 2020 as the outbreak plunged countries across Europe into their deepest recessions since World War II, statistics show, and the prospect of another lockdown clouds the outlook for recovery.
- H&M profits slashed - High street fashion giant H&M says the pandemic has slashed its 2020 net profits by 90 percent, with about a third of its 5,000 stores currently closed.
More than 101,436,360 cases have been registered.
The number of deaths globally is underestimated. The toll is calculated from daily figures published by national health authorities and does not include later revisions by statistics agencies.