Tennis Stars Back 'bold' WTA Move To Suspend China Events Over Peng
Zeeshan Mehtab Published December 02, 2021 | 02:28 PM
Tennis stars threw their support behind the WTA's move to suspend its tournaments in China over concern for Peng Shuai, as calls grew Thursday for other sports organisations to take action
Washington, Dec 2 (APP - UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News - 2nd Dec, 2021 ) :Tennis stars threw their support behind the WTA's move to suspend its tournaments in China over concern for Peng Shuai, as calls grew Thursday for other sports organisations to take action.
The women's tennis tour made the decision over what its chairman called enduring "serious doubts" about the safety of Chinese player Peng, who accused a former Communist Party leader of sexual assault.
Women's Tennis Association chair and CEO Steve Simon reiterated his calls for China to conduct "a full and transparent investigation - without censorship" into Peng's claim that former vice-premier Zhang Gaoli "forced" her into sex.
The WTA's move to suspend its tournaments in China, including Hong Kong, won the immediate backing of some of the biggest Names in tennis, among them men's number one Novak Djokovic and women's tour founder Billie Jean King.
Djokovic called the WTA's stance "very bold and very courageous", while 12-time Grand Slam singles winner King tweeted that the WTA "is on the right side of history." Tennis great Martina Navratilova directly challenged the International Olympic Committee to respond, writing on Twitter that "so far I can barely hear you!!!" China will host the Beijing Winter Olympics in February.
And Chinese foreign ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said the country was "firmly opposed to acts politicising sport," in a brief response to reporters.
- 'Serious doubts' - The 35-year-old Peng, a Wimbledon and French Open doubles champion, has been at the centre of international concern for the past month.
She was not seen for weeks following her allegations on the Twitter-like Weibo platform that Zhang, now in his 70s, coerced her into sex during a years-long on-off relationship.
The Global Times on Thursday accused the WTA in an editorial posted only on Twitter of putting on "an exaggerated show" and "forcing (Peng) to complain in accordance with the imagination and expectations of Western public opinion." Peng's claims against Zhang were the first time China's #MeToo movement has touched the highest echelons of the ruling Communist Party.
"In good conscience, I don't see how I can ask our athletes to compete there when Peng Shuai is not allowed to communicate freely and has seemingly been pressured to contradict her allegation of sexual assault," Simon said in the statement announcing the WTA's decision.
Simon said that he still had "serious doubts that she is free, safe, and not subject to censorship, coercion, and intimidation." The European Union, the United Nations, the United States and Britain all have called for proof of Peng's whereabouts and well-being.
Beijing has remained mostly tight-lipped, saying the situation surrounding Peng has been "maliciously hyped up." - Millions of dollars - Next year's WTA schedule had not yet been announced, but China looks unlikely to be hosting major international sport -- except the Olympics -- any time soon because of its strict coronavirus policies.
Speaking on CNN, Simon said he had been unable to contact Peng directly despite multiple attempts.
Asked if the WTA had been contacted by any corporate sponsors of the Olympics or other sports with big business in China, such as the NBA, Simon said: "We haven't heard from the partners involved in the Olympics and other properties involved in China.
"Our position here is very, very clear: I can only imagine the range of emotions and feelings that are likely going through Peng right now.
"We hope that she feels that none of this is her fault and that we're very proud of her."