Burns Apologises For European Cup Showboat Try Blunder


Burns apologises for European Cup showboat try blunder

Paris, (UrduPoint / Pakistan Point News, app - 14th Oct, 2018 ) :Bath full-back Freddie Burns apologised after a showboating blunder cost his team a winning try as Toulouse claimed a 22-20 victory in the European Champions Cup on Saturday.

With just five minutes to play, Burns scythed through the defence and gave a cocky nod of the head and slap of his chest as he approached the tryline for what would likely have been the decisive score.

Trotting in towards the back of the posts, the 28-year-old five-time capped England back slowed as he went to ground the ball one-handed, only for the ever-lively Maxime Medard to pounce, tapping Burns' forearm to cause the ball to spill and roll dead.

A tearful Burns collapsed to the ground, face buried in the pitch.

The bungled try attempt came shortly after Burns missed a penalty in front of the posts that would also have edged Bath back into the lead.

"love this sport for the highs and the lows. Today was an ultimate low and a mistake I'll learn from," Burns tweeted.

"I'll continue to give my best as I always do. Lastly just apologies to the boys and the supporters for the mistake. I'll bounce back... thanks for the support." Two minutes after the botched his try, Bath's director of rugby Todd Blackadder took the full-back off, because he was "a little bit" mentally shot.

"It's just an honest mistake, and he will never do it again," Blackadder told BBC radio. "A really disappointing way to finish the game." "You just can't (celebrate early) at any level. We did it against Bristol (when Tom Homer dropped the ball while crossing the line) and it's just disappointing here in the Champions Cup. But it's a genuine, honest mistake." Asked how Burns will pick himself up, Blackadder said: "It's about what you do next. But Freddie is pretty tough and pretty resilient." Bath captain Rhys Priestland expressed frustration.

"I just can't believe we celebrate before we put the ball down. I honestly don't know what boys think they are going to gain by doing it. For me that is not negotiable," the Welshman said.

But he added: "Don't get me wrong, I am not pointing the figure at Freddie.

He hasn't cost us the game, we weren't good enough." Four-time European champions Toulouse held on for the win in a tough Pool 1 that also includes defending champions Leinster, who ran out 52-3 winners over Wasps on Friday.

"It's the pool of death and we'll take that win any day," Toulouse's No 8 Jerome Kaino told Channel 4. "We're happy with this win away from home." Both Burns and Medard had scored earlier tries. Jamie Roberts also touched down for Bath while Sofiane Guitoune scored twice for Toulouse.

Last year's losing semi-finalists Scarlets conceded a penalty try with four minutes left to lose 14-13 at home to last year's beaten finalists Racing 92.

Freddie's brother Billy had a better day as Ulster scored three tries and beat Leicester 24-10 in Belfast to go top of Pool 4, Edinburgh fought back bravely before losing 21-15 in Montpellier in Pool 5 and Munster gained a 10-10 draw in Exeter in Pool 2.

In Llanelli, Gareth Davies and Johnny McNicholl scored tries five minutes apart in the second half but missed conversions by Leigh Halfpenny left the hosts only five points ahead entering the last five minutes.

When a Racing driving maul came down, referee Matthew Carley gave a penalty try which eliminated the need to kick the conversion, put Racing a point ahead and reduced Scarlets to 14 men.

In Montpellier, the home team took control with three first-half tries to one by Edinburgh.

But the Scottish side dominated the second half. Dougie Fife touched down just before the hour, but pivotal moment came with 10 minutes left and Edinburgh still six points behind.

Magnus Bradbury touched down but the try was over-ruled because replacement prop Simon Berghan had demolished a home defender off the ball.

Vern Cotter, the Montpellier coach, lamented that his team had just missed a bonus point.

"We won but we wanted five points," he said. "We are disappointed."In Exeter, England front-row Luke Cowan-Dickie scored the home side's lone try just before half-time and Ireland back-row CJ Stander hit back for the Irish province in the second half.

Your Thoughts and Comments