Istanbul Residential Building Collapse Death Toll Up To 21 - Turkish Interior Minister

(@ChaudhryMAli88)

Istanbul Residential Building Collapse Death Toll Up to 21 - Turkish Interior Minister

ANKARA (UrduPoint News / Sputnik - 10th February, 2019) The death toll in the residential building collapse in the Turkish city of Istanbul has increased to 21, Turkish Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said on Sunday.

The eight-story building collapsed in Istanbul's Kartal district on Wednesday. It was previously reported that 18 people were killed and 14 others injured. Rescue teams continue clearing the rubble.

"The death toll has now reached 21 people, while 14 injured people have been pulled from the rubble. According to preliminary information, there were 35 people in the collapsed building, and all of them have already been found, either dead or alive, but the search and rescue operation will continue," Soylu told reporters.

Turkish prosecutors have opened an investigation into the incident. Illegal buildup of the top three floors of the building is considered to be a possible reason behind the collapse. Turkish Minister of Environment and Urban Planning Murat Kumur has claimed that a great amount of sea sand had been found in the concrete that was used for the construction of the collapsed building.

Your Thoughts and Comments