US Charges Army Veteran For Plotting To Bomb Political Rally In California - Justice Dept.

(@imziishan)

US Charges Army Veteran for Plotting to Bomb Political Rally in California - Justice Dept.

WASHINGTON (UrduPoint News / Sputnik - 23rd May, 2019) A US military veteran was charged for planning to launch a terror attack at a political rally in the California city of Long Beach, the Justice Department said in a press release.

"A Federal grand jury has indicted a San Fernando Valley man for his role in planning to bomb a rally in Long Beach last month for the purpose of causing mass casualties... The indictment returned today formally charges him with providing material support to terrorists and attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction," the release said on Wednesday.

On April 28, local media reported that many thought a white nationalist rally was going to be held in Long Beach's Bluff Park, possibly by a group called the United Patriot National Front. Domingo allegedly was targeting the rally but the white nationalists never showed up, only counter-protesters.

The Justice Department went on to say that as part of his plan, Domingo asked a confederate, who actually was working with the FBI on the probe, to find a bomb-maker. The suspect then provided an undercover officer masquerading as a bomb-maker with several hundred nails for the bombs.

The charged individual is 26-year-old ex-US Army infantryman Mark Steven Domingo, who was deployed to Afghanistan. Domingo in online posts and conversations with an FBI source expressed support for violent jihad and a desire to seek retribution for attacks against Muslims, the release added.

Domingo was arrested after the return from the planned attack location and has been in federal custody. If convicted, the man would face a statutory maximum sentence of life in federal prison, according to the release.

Your Thoughts and Comments