US Not Aware Of Any Threats Connected To New Zealand Mosques Massacre - DHS Secretary

US Not Aware of Any Threats Connected to New Zealand Mosques Massacre - DHS Secretary

WASHINGTON (UrduPoint News / Sputnik - 16th March, 2019) US officials have no indication of threats against Muslims in the United States or any connections between terrorists who killed 49 people at two mosques in New Zealand, Homeland Security Secretary Kierstjen Nielsen said in a press release on Friday.

"We are not aware of any current, credible or active threat domestically, nor of any current information regarding obvious ties between the perpetrators in New Zealand and anyone in the United States," the statement said.

Earlier on Friday, mass shootings at two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand, left at least 49 people dead and dozens more injured.

Nielsen said that the US Department of Homeland Security is aware of fears of many Muslims in the United States, especially those gathering for Friday prayers.

The New Zealand attack was apparently timed to coincide with Friday prayers, although information of the number of Muslims killed in the attacks has yet to be revealed.

New Zealand officials have detained four individuals, including a man charged with murder. None of the detainees previously appeared on terrorist watch lists, officials said.

Your Thoughts and Comments