US Officials Met Organizers Of Maduro's Attempted Assassination After Incident - Reports

US Officials Met Organizers of Maduro's Attempted Assassination After Incident - Reports

US officials met organizers of last year's assassination attempt on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro three times after the incident in order to get information about the attack, local media reported

MOSCOW (UrduPoint News / Sputnik - 15th March, 2019) US officials met organizers of last year's assassination attempt on Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro three times after the incident in order to get information about the attack, local media reported.

An anonymous organizer of the attack told the CNN broadcaster that the incident did not involve Colombia, despite Caracas' claims to the contrary, and was instead plotted by a group of Venezuelan citizens, including army defectors. According to the attacker, he met US officials three times after the fact.

"They wanted to get information and then we asked for things in return. They took notes on this, and we asked if they would be able to help.

Then they simply left with their notes, and they never appeared again," the attacker told CNN.

A spokesperson for the US Department of State refused to comment on the issue, only saying that Washington was supporting a "peaceful transition" in Venezuela.

According to the Venezuelan authorities, Maduro experienced an attempt on his life with the use of explosive-laden drones during a speech he was making at a military parade in Caracas on August 4. The president has accused opposition forces and Colombia of having organized the attack, adding that some of the perpetrators resided in the United States. Both Bogota and Washington have denied any involvement in the incident.

Your Thoughts and Comments