- US Unlikely to Resort to Military Force Against Caracas - Venezuelan Ambassador to Jordan
US Unlikely To Resort To Military Force Against Caracas - Venezuelan Ambassador To Jordan
The United States is unlikely to resort to military force against Caracas since the Latin American country is backed by strong allies, Venezuelan Ambassador to Jordan Omar Vielma Osuna told Sputnik in an interview, in the wake of the expulsion of US diplomats from Venezuela
AMMAN (UrduPoint News / Sputnik - 15th March, 2019) The United States is unlikely to resort to military force against Caracas since the Latin American country is backed by strong allies, Venezuelan Ambassador to Jordan Omar Vielma Osuna told Sputnik in an interview, in the wake of the expulsion of US diplomats from Venezuela.
On Tuesday, Caracas gave US diplomats three days to leave the Latin American country. Its decision was based on the risks that the US diplomatic staff posed a threat to the country's "peace, integrity and stability." The US leadership has repeatedly said that the option of using military force against the Bolivarian republic remains on the table. Both China and Russia, which support Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro, have opposed any external intervention in the Latin American country.
"The [Venezuelan-US] relations will be more complicated, and [the US authorities] will strengthen the blockade of Venezuela. And the mechanism used for the blockade by the United States consists in threats against [Venezuela's] allies and calls to not interact with Venezuela. We believe that the United States will not resort to the military scenario, since Venezuela is not alone and has allies," Osuna said.
According to the diplomat, the United States has been attempting to turn the Venezuelan people against the government, including by staging a massive blackout across the country, thereby depriving the population of water and means of communication.
"The citizen's natural reaction is to start acting against president [Nicolas] Maduro, but the majority of the population knows and believes that the attack was from outside the country. In this regard, the people are becoming more united and mobilized. And the government is looking for solutions and countermeasures in case such diversions occur again," Osuna underlined.
A major blackout swept Venezuela last week as national electricity supplier Corpoelec announced there had been an act of "sabotage" at the Guri hydroelectric power plant. Media subsequently reported about power outages in 21 of Venezuela's 23 states. Maduro has pinned the blame for the crisis on the United States. Washington has denied having a role in the blackout. Power has since been fully restored across the country.