Sudanese Opposition Says Suspended Dialogue With Military Council

Sudanese Opposition Says Suspended Dialogue With Military Council

CAIRO (UrduPoint News / Sputnik - 22nd April, 2019) The Sudanese Professionals Association, one of the key groups behind the protests in the country, said on Sunday that it had suspended dialogue with Sudan's Transitional Military Council and would continue protests in the capital.

"The military council is still not serious about handing power over to civilians. This council is also representing part of the old regime ... We will continue our protests and we will escalate our protests. We will boycott talks with the military council," Mohamed Amin Abdulaziz, the spokesman for the Professionals Association, said, as quoted by Al Jazeera broadcaster.

On April 11, Sudanese President Omar Bashir, who had been in power for nearly 30 years, was detained by the country's military after months of protests that initially erupted over a hike in bread prices. They later escalated into nationwide demonstrations calling on Bashir to resign.

The transitional military council took power in Sudan after overthrowing Bashir and vowed to hold a new election in two years. However, protests have continued, with the demonstrators demanding that the military hand power to a new civilian administration.

Related Topics

Your Thoughts and Comments